Recipe by Poker
Spice up your life with this Pot PIE. I did try this, but I did not use the pastry blender because I don't have one! The regular mixer served my purpose. This was a great tasting meal. I found this one in Better Homes & Gardens. The flavors & the aroma was worth the wait.
- 6 ounces hot Italian sausage, crumbled
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely chopped peeled rutabagas (8oz) or 1 1⁄2 cups turnips (8oz)
- 1 cup mild salsa or 1 cup medium hot salsa
- 3⁄4 cup cooked ham, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (4oz)
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can yellow hominy, rinsed & drained
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄4 salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a Med mixing bowl combine pastry ingredients.
- Using a pastry blender,cut in 1/3shorting until pieces are pea-size.
- Sprinkle 3-5 tablespoons of cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, over mixture, tossing with a fork after each addition until moistened.
- Form dough into a ball.
- IN large skillet cook hot sausage for 8-10 minutes or until brown.
- Drain fat.
- Stir in rutabaga,salsa,ham& broth.
- Bring to boil & reduce heat.
- Cover until rutabaga is crisp-tender (8-10 min). Stir in hominy.
- Spoon sausage mixture into a ungreased 1 1/2-quart casserole.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Prepare Cornmeal Pastry: Measure diameter of top of casserole. Roll pastry about 1 inch larger than top of casserole.
- Place pastry on top of casserole.
- Turn edges on top under & fluted; Cut slits on top for steam to escape.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until pastry is golden brown!