Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
From Outpost Natural Foods in their Diabetes Fighting Foods flyer.
- 4 andouille chicken sausage, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cups frozen green peas
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon creole seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Heat skillet to medium-high heat and cook chicken sausages until lightly browned.
- Place all ingredients, including sausage, into slow cooker and cook on high for 6 hours.
Yummy. And spicy. We've used andouille sausage before, and our kids sometimes complain that it is too spicy. Hubby and I liked it very much, but next time I make this I'll have to make it with some other, less spicy type of sausage. This isn't a "real" gumbo, since it doesn't start with a roux and have a thickened gravy, but of course not because it's supposed to be a healthy version. It was very easy to make and I'll make it again but less spicy for the kids. I served it after only 4.5 hours in my crockpot on high, but my high is really high on my crock. I think another 1.5 hours and it would've been overcooked flavorless mush.