Vegetable Gumbo (Crock Pot)
Low calorie and filling vegetable soup which makes an easy dinner by itself or with grilled cheese sandwiches. This recipe needs a large (5 quart or larger) slow cooker/crock pot. Recipe source: The Healthy Slow Cooker
- Ready In:
- 6hrs 45mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 -2 onion, chopped
- 6 stalks celery, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme (or 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, minced)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppercorn, cracked
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice
- 4 cups vegetable broth or 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- salt (optional)
- 2 cups okra, sliced (I use frozen)
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 -2 dash hot pepper sauce (Tabasco)
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat oil for 30 seconds. Add onions and celery, cook stirring until soft (5 minutes).
- Stir in garlic, thyme, peppercorns, and bay leaf, cook stirring for 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Transfer to large crock pot insert.
- Stir in rice and broth.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours or until rice is tender.
- Discard bay leaf.
- In a small cup mix together the paprika and lemon juice.
- Add paprika/lemon juice mixture, okra and green pepper, stirring in well.
- Cover and cook on high for 20 minutes or until pepper is tender.
- Add a dash or two of hot pepper sauce if desired.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
I substituted fresh diced tomatoes from the garden for the canned. All of my other ingredients were fresh from the garden or the farm box. The only thing store bought was the celery. Everyone added their own hot sauce to suit their personal taste. It was thick, hearty and filling. We had it with grilled cheese sandwiches. Not what we would typically have on such a hot day, but we all enjoyed it.
This recipe is more like a 3.5 star. I love gumbo but this was lacking the "gumbo" flavor that I am use to. Maybe it is the lack of meat. I also thought it could use a little bit more seasoning, the flavor seemed a little bland. But that could be because of the slow cooker. I did like this as a nice vegetable soup. It was really simple, quick and easy. Next time I will cut back on the okra and use 1 cup, since I am not a okra fan.<br/><br/>I will make this again.
Wonderful! I did add meat (chicken) and scallops (the only frozen seafood I had) and it turned out great. Added much more Louisiana Hot Sauce as we like it spicy. Will definitely make again. Thanks! Update - made again, this time used scallops and some leftover venison roast. Delicious, again. Used 1 T Franks hot sauce and more okra, brown rice. Yum!