Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Makes a big portion for leftovers. Easy and very tasty.
- 3⁄4 lb hot reduced-fat Italian sausage, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 (14 ounce) can reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- COOK sausage, pepper and celery in large saucepan on medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, stirring frequently; drain.
- ADD flour; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in broth, tomatoes with their liquid and beans. Bring to boil; reduce heat to low. Cover; simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- SERVE with crackers.
This was really delicious. I omitted the green pepper, and I didn't use spicy sausage I just used mild, and it was so good. My kids wouldn't eat it, but they are really young. Older kids should enjoy this meal.