Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
I am collecting recipes for my New Year venture back into a largely vegetarian diet. This looks like something my husband and myself will enjoy so I am sticking it here for safe keeping. I found it in the 2008 copy of the yearly 'Vegetarian Christmas' special put out by BBC Good Food Magazine. You can pick the heat of curry paste or powder that will suit your family.
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, cut into chunks
- 4 carrots, thickly sliced
- 2 parsnips, thickly sliced
- 2 tablespoons curry paste or 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 3⁄4 pints vegetable stock
- 4 ounces red lentils
- 3⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- Heat the oil in a large pan, then cook the onion and garlic over a medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes until softened.
- Tip in the potatoes, carrots and parsnips.
- Turn up the heat, then cook for 6 to 7 minutes, until vegetables are nicely golden.
- Stir in the curry paste or powder and stock, then bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and add the lentils.
- Cover with a lid and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until thickened.
- Season the casserole , then stir in most of the cilantro.
- Heat through for another minute.
- Serve with a spoonful of yogurt, if you wish, and sprinkle over the rest of the coriander.
This is a very flavorful dish and great for the fall and winter. I cooked it exactly as the recipe describes including ingredients. Cilantro does make a big difference. The only thing I will add next time is more curry seasoning. If you do not like spicy dishes, use the recommended amount. My husband and I need a little more spice so next time, I will be generous with the curry. Rice was also a good compliment to the dish.
Wow. What flavour in this dish. We loved it. My 17 year old son had no problem finishing off any leftovers. I sauteed my onion in water and used extra parsnips. I measured out the lentils and 4 oz is about a half cup. I also added 1 Knorr beef cube and water in place of the vegetable stock. This is easy to make too. Thanks for the recipe.
This is good, in a very healthy and hearty way. I found that the flavor could use a bit more of a kick, so I added a ton extra curry powder. If I had more cilantro on hand that would have been good too.