Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
I wanted to make some sort of pialf/pilau type thing with quinoa, read a bunch of different recipes, looked in my cupboard and came up with this. Very aromatic Indian-inspired dish. If you like it less spicy, then leave out the chili. Feel free to play around with the vegetables too, I just used what was in my fridge/freezer. I mostly eyeballed the ingredients, but this is a basic estimation.
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 cloves
- 4 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 chili pepper, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, finely diced
- 1 leek, chopped
- 2 cups quinoa
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 2 bay leaves, broken
- 1 cup cauliflower floret
- 1 cup peas
- In a large pot, fry the onion in a little oil.
- Add the garlic, cloves, cardamom and chili pepper, and fry a bit more.
- Add the vegetables (if using any frozen vegetables, don't add them in just yet) and continue frying.
- Add the quinoa, water, cinnamon, coriander seeds, and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat, cover and simmer for about 12 minutes, or until the quinoa has absorbed the water.
- About halfway through the simmering, stir in any frozen vegetables you want to add.
lol, i miss u ...love the beginning 'some sort of pialf/pilau type thing' , a very georgia thing to say :) , yummy dish ! missssh u