Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 1 lb penne (substitute corkscrew or other pasta)
- 1 lb turkey sausage (sweet or hot)
- 1 lb asparagus spear
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 package sliced mushroom
- 1 (8 ounce) packagecrumbled feta
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- lemon wedge (for serving)
- Boil water for pasta with 1 tbsp.
- kosher salt.
- Trim woody ends off asparagus spears (leaving about 3/4) and chop remaining into 2-inch pieces.
- Seed bell pepper and cut into small strips.
- Take sausage meat out of casing and fry in olive oil in wok or other large fry pan.
- Break sausage into small pieces, and add crushed red pepper flakes (to suit desired spiciness, using less for hot turkey sausage.) Begin to boil the pasta (6-8 minutes for al dente).
- While this is cooking, add asparagus, mushrooms, and red pepper strips to same pan with sausage.
- Stir fry over medium-high heat for about five minutes until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Turn off heat, and drain pasta.
- Toss drained pasta with vegetable-turkey mixture, adding a small amount of extra virgin olive oil if desired.
- Add salt& pepper to taste.
- Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- (Dish is served warm, not piping hot. May also be served room temperature or cold on hot days.) After cooling slightly, toss lightly with feta and chopped parsley.
- Serve with lemon wedges, crusty bread and white wine for easy summer entertaining.