Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 mins
I love pickled anything and I found this on the Williams-Sonoma site. I haven't yet tried it, but the picture had me craving it.
- 12 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut diagonally into slices 1/4 inch thick
- 24 mixed green olives in brine, and
- black olives, drained
- 12 cocktail onions, in vinegar, drained
- 12 baby gherkins, drained
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch hot chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pimientos or 1⁄2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 pinch fresh thyme leave
- Bring a small saucepan three-fourths full of water to a boil over high heat. Add the garlic, return to a boil and cook for 3 minutes. Add the carrot, return to a boil and cook for 1 minute more. Drain, then plunge the garlic and carrot slices into cold water. Drain again and peel the garlic (the skins will come off easily).
- Transfer the garlic and carrot slices to a glass bowl. Add the olives, onions and gherkins and mix well. Add the olive oil, vinegar, salt, chili powder, pimentón and thyme and stir gently to coat all the ingredients evenly. Cover and refrigerate the olive and vegetable mixture until well chilled, at least 2 hours or up to 6 hours, stirring once or twice.
These were good! I did go ahead and chop the garlic into smaller pieces. I also didn't add the gerkins so I added more olives. I LOVE olives. With a few pinches of red pepper flakes you can't go wrong!