Recipe by Rita~
A nice warming spicy side.
Top Review by Just_Ducky!!
I served this cold with a vegetarian picnic I planned and it was absolutely delicious both hot and cold (had a little taste while still warm). I forgot to put the tomatoes in until after it was all cooked but it worked out fine to put them in after. Thanks for another keeper Rita! Made and enjoyed for team Mischief Makers - ZWT #7 :)
- 2 cups orange lentils (rinsed and picked through for no twigs or stones)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cardamom seed, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup fresh tomato, diced peeled
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve salt in enough boiling water to cover lentils. Add lentils.
- and cook until tender about 20 minutes. Drain and mash with potato masher.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry onions and garlic until onions are golden.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for a few minutes. Stir in lentils and heat until thick. Serve hot.