Recipe by Gagoo
Lamb shanks are an underutilized and wonderfully flavorful cut of lamb. Ideal for crockery cookers, the meat is tender enough to fall off the bone. Infused with orange and spices, it is the perfect warming supper to serve on chilly late winter evenings. From Recipe.com
- 2 large oranges
- 1 1⁄4 cups beef broth
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling onions, peeled*
- 4 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 lbs lamb shanks (3 to 4)
- 6 inches cinnamon sticks
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄3 cup pitted black olives, halved if desired
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, snipped
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove the orange part of the peel from 1 of the oranges . Cut the peel into thin strips (should have about 1/4 cup); set aside. Squeeze the juice from both oranges to make about 2/3 cup.
- In a small bowl stir together orange juice, broth, cardamom, cumin, salt, turmeric, and pepper. Set aside.
- Place carrots, onions and garlic in the bottom of a 5- to 6-quart crockery cooker. Top with lamb shanks, strips of orange peel and cinnamon sticks. Pour orange juice mixture over all. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 9 hours or until lamb pulls easily from the bone.
- When ready to serve, transfer the lamb shanks and vegetables to a serving dish using a slotted spoon. Skim the fat from the cooking liquid. Remove and discard the cinnamon sticks. Measure 1 1/2 cups juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Combine water and cornstarch; add to saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Spoon sauce over lamb and vegetables. Sprinkle with olives and cilantro. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
- NOTE: To make it easier to peel onions, place onions in a saucepan with water. Bring to boiling and cook for 30 seconds. Slice off the root ends and squeeze onions from peels.