Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is my step-dad's go to condiment for everything - toast, pasta, rice, even burgers and steamed veggies! It is spicy, so use with caution.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cubanelle peppers, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 hungarian wax chiles, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can no-salt-added whole tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat.
- Add the peppers and saute until they begin to soften and break down, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, pepper flakes, onion and garlic powders and basil.
- Cover and cook 10 minutes.
- Uncover and break up the tomatoes with a spoon, cook 2-3 minutes more.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Add seasoning to taste.