Recipe by Manami
Courtesy of Bobby Flay. A wonderful dish! Since I love eggplant I may not be the perfect judge. Nice and spicy!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes (we used 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1⁄2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 medium eggplant, ends trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices, lengthwise
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the ginger, garlic and red chili flakes and cook until soft, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the hoisin, vinegar and soy sauce until combined and then strain, reserving the sauce.
- Heat grill to high.
- Brush eggplant slices on both sides with the oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the slices on the grill and grill until golden brown and slighty charred, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Brush with some of the glaze, turn over and continue grilling just until cooked through, brushing with more of the glaze, 3 to 4 minutes longer.
- Remove from the grill and brush with the remaining glaze.
- Transfer to a platter and sprinkle with the cilantro.