1/1 Photo of Spicy Ham and Bean Soup
2 hrs 15 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups beans (great northern, pinto, black, navy, lentils - any or all)
- 3 ham hocks
- 8 ounces chopped kielbasa (, or other sausage, if you love meat)
- 10 cups water (vegetable, chicken, or beef) or 10 cups stock (vegetable, chicken, or beef)
- 2 medium chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 -2 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sage or 2 tablespoons basil or 2 tablespoons parsley or 2 tablespoons oregano (or any combination of those herbs)
- freshly squeezed, lemon, juice of
- 1If you've got time, cover beans with water and soak, covered, overnight.
- 2Otherwise, cover beans with water and bring to a boil for a few minutes, then bring the heat down to low and simmer for 30 minutes or so.
- 3Drain (this helps cut down on any, uh, gas issues).
- 4Cover again with water, stock, or a combination.
- 5Add ham hocks and bring heat back to medium.
- 6Simmer for an hour or until beans are softened and meat is coming off the bones.
- 7Add water or stock as needed throughout cooking process.
- 8Remove ham hocks and set aside to cool.
- 9Add onions, tomatoes (with juice), garlic, spice, salt and sausage (if desired).
- 10Remove meat from ham hocks, shred into small pieces, and add to soup.
- 11Continue to simmer until beans are very soft.
- 12and tomatoes have broken down.
- 13Add lemon juice.
- 14Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 15Serve with crusty, rustic bread and a green salad.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Ham and Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (303 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 125.1
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 18.6 mg
- Sodium 271.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 4.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: