Top Review by Crabbycakes
This is sooo good Kathy. I used red beans, a ham bone, liquid smoke,fresh garlic,chopped onions & onion flakes, added tomato paste and dried green peppers. I use everything but the kitchen sink till I like the taste. Thanks again.
- 1 lb dried white bean
- 4 quarts water
- 1 lb cubed lean ham
- 1 cup carrot
- 3⁄4 cup celery
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can spicy hot V8
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can green chilies
- 2 3⁄4 cups red potatoes
- 1 3⁄4 cups onions
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Sort and wash beans.
- Place in dutch oven, add water and let soak for 2 hours (or soak over night).
- Bring beans to boil, reduce heat, simmer uncovered 1 hour.
- Add ham, potato, onion, carrot, celery; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer 1 hour.
- Add remaining ingredients bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered about 1 hour until beans are done and soup has thickened.