Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
From Food & Wine November 2006 - credited to Mary Ellen Diaz.
Make and share this Spicy Grain Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 1⁄2 cup short-grain brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup bulgur
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 3 ancho chilies or 3 dried mulato chiles, stemmed, seeded and broken into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 2 quarts low sodium chicken broth or 2 quarts vegetable broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 6 fresh cilantro stems, plus
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 lb shiitake mushroom, stems discarded, caps thinly sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced
- 1 medium zucchini, finely diced
- 1 medium parsnip, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup salted roasted pumpkin seeds
- In a medium saucepan, cover the barley with 4 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer over low heat until tender, about 35 minutes; drain.
- Return the barley to the pan and cover.
- Meanwhile, in another medium saucepan, cover the brown rice with 2 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer over low heat until tender, about 35 minutes.
- Drain the brown rice and add to the barley.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, cover the bulgur with 1 cup of hot water.
- Cover and let stand until the water is absorbed, 10 minutes.
- In a large, heavy pot, heat the olive oil.
- Add the chiles, onion and garlic and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, cilantro sprigs and allspice and season with 1 tablespoon of salt and a pinch of pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer over low heat for 45 minutes.
- Let cool slightly.
- Puree the soup in a blender and return to the pan.
- Add the mushrooms, black beans, carrot, zucchini and parsnip to the pureed soup and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add the barley, rice and bulgur and season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, sprinkle with the pumpkin seeds and chopped cilantro and serve.
This is a very good soup. It's filling and flavorful, as well as healthy. It makes a huge amount of soup (maybe more than 8 servings). The only complaint I have (which is very minor) is that this takes a lot of time and effort to make, and I dirtied a LOT of dishes while preparing it. Still, the finished product was very good, and I would definitely recommend the recipe. Thanks for sharing!