2 hrs 10 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Vino Girl's Note:
From Food & Wine November 2006 - credited to Mary Ellen Diaz.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1/2 cup short-grain brown rice
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 3 ancho chilies or 3 dried mulato chiles, stemmed, seeded and broken into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 2 quarts low sodium chicken broth or 2 quarts vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 6 fresh cilantro stems, plus
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 lb shiitake mushroom, stems discarded, caps thinly sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced
- 1 medium zucchini, finely diced
- 1 medium parsnip, finely diced
- 1/2 cup salted roasted pumpkin seeds
- 1In a medium saucepan, cover the barley with 4 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- 2Cover and simmer over low heat until tender, about 35 minutes; drain.
- 3Return the barley to the pan and cover.
- 4Meanwhile, in another medium saucepan, cover the brown rice with 2 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- 5Cover and simmer over low heat until tender, about 35 minutes.
- 6Drain the brown rice and add to the barley.
- 7Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, cover the bulgur with 1 cup of hot water.
- 8Cover and let stand until the water is absorbed, 10 minutes.
- 9In a large, heavy pot, heat the olive oil.
- 10Add the chiles, onion and garlic and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- 11Add the broth, tomatoes, cilantro sprigs and allspice and season with 1 tablespoon of salt and a pinch of pepper.
- 12Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer over low heat for 45 minutes.
- 13Let cool slightly.
- 14Puree the soup in a blender and return to the pan.
- 15Add the mushrooms, black beans, carrot, zucchini and parsnip to the pureed soup and bring to a boil.
- 16Cover and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
- 17Add the barley, rice and bulgur and season with salt and pepper.
- 18Ladle the soup into bowls, sprinkle with the pumpkin seeds and chopped cilantro and serve.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Grain Soup
Serving Size: 1 (443 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 316.6
- Calories from Fat 78
- Total Fat 8.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 92.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.1 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 16.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: