Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
From "5 Spices, 50 Dishes" by Ruta Kahate.
Make and share this Spicy Eggplant With Tomatoes recipe from Food.com.
- 1 large italian eggplant (about 1 lb)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon ginger, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- cut eggplants into 1/2-inch cubes.
- heat oil in large wok over medium heat and saute onion until soft, about 5 minute add garlic, ginger, turmeric, cumin, and cayenne, and saute for another 2 minute if the mixture begins to stick to bottom of pan, deglaze by adding a few TB water and using a spatula to loosen the browned bits.
- add eggplant, tomatoes, salt, and sugar, and toss until eggplant is well coated with onion-spice mixture.
- cover and cook over medium-low heat until eggplant is soft but not mushy, about 10 minute serve warm.
Soooo yummy! This was spicy, but in a pleasant, exotic flavorful way; not "hot" spicy. It's a perfect use for summer garden eggplants and tomatoes. I agree that it's important not to let the eggplant get mushy. I made this as written. I would have garnished with fresh cilantro, but I was out.... next time! Thanx!