Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I made this last night from things in the pantry and fridge. I guess it's based loosely on Alamatriciana, though that has crisp bacon and no cream or herbs!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- dried red chili pepper flakes, to taste (I used about 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1 (700 ml) jar tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chicken stock powder
- 1⁄2 cup cream (I used light)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- fresh ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a heavy based fry pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes, add the bacon and garlic, and cook for a further 5 minutes or until the bacon is cooked to your liking.
- Pour in the wine, and allow to cook and reduce for a couple of minutes, then add the chilli flakes, tomato sauce, water and stock powder.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add the cream and fresh chopped herbs and freshly ground black pepper, reheat and serve immediately over the pasta of your choice.
- We ate this last night over spinach and cheese tortellini.