Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I made this last night from things in the pantry and fridge. I guess it's based loosely on Alamatriciana, though that has crisp bacon and no cream or herbs!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- dried red chili pepper flakes, to taste (I used about 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1 (700 ml) jar tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chicken stock powder
- 1⁄2 cup cream (I used light)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- fresh ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a heavy based fry pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes, add the bacon and garlic, and cook for a further 5 minutes or until the bacon is cooked to your liking.
- Pour in the wine, and allow to cook and reduce for a couple of minutes, then add the chilli flakes, tomato sauce, water and stock powder.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add the cream and fresh chopped herbs and freshly ground black pepper, reheat and serve immediately over the pasta of your choice.
- We ate this last night over spinach and cheese tortellini.
I'm confused on why the nutritional facts don't reflect the same thing as the detailed nutrition values. Nutritional facts say this is 398.9 calories per serving, but the detail says only 283 calories. That's a BIG disparity! Which is correct? All the ingredients seem to be accounted for in the detail. This isn't directed to you, Jan, but to Food.com. Your recipe looks delicious - but I definitely like the lower calorie count better!
A bit on the time consuming side when you're fighting off the vultures (starving DH and kiddos) but worth every second! Simply delectable. My family now gripes if I try to get away with making spaghetti any other way! Thanks for this family cookbook worthy addition!
This was absolutely delicious!! I didnt have any tomato sauce so I used a can of diced tomatoes and I loved it! I will definitely be making it again! Yum!