Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A quick way to add spicy flavors to your stir fry, or roasted vegetables, or rub on baked potatoes before baking.
- 236.59 ml cooking oil
- 9.85 ml dried crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 slice gingerroot (1/4 inch thick)
- Place cooking oil, chilies, garlic cloves and gingerroot into an ovenproof glass bowl with lid.
- Bake in 300 oven for 1 hour until garlic cloves and gingerroot are golden brown.
- Remove to wire rack to cool for 30 minutes.
- Line strainer with coffee filter or several layers of cheesecloth, strain oil into glass jar. Chill.
- Oil should be clear. Chill makes about 7/8 cups.
Not enough stars for this recipe! I can't believe how easy it is. My BF usually dumps the whole jar on his food when we go to dim sum or pho. I have tried purchased chili oil at the market but have never been impressed with it. This beats them all! I used 1 1/2 oil and 1/2 cup of crushed chilis and it came out extra spicy! The oven gives the chili oil a somewhat roasted flavor. Thank you so much Calee for this recipe I'll make again and again!
This is a very mild flavoured oil. I used 3 teaspoons of crushed pepper plus a quarter cup of dried whole chilies, and it still has very little heat compared to the level we're accustomed to in a chili oil. We really liked the flavours from the roasted garlic and ginger though, so next time I'll just add LOADS more chili (and try and strain it a bit better :)). Thanks Calee! Made for PAC Fall 2009.
*This IS what I've been looking for* I drove myself nuts trying to find this in the store... I was so happy to have found your recipe. It's perfect! I added more crushed pepper cause I like it spicy too. This went terrific in my sauce for Shrimp Pot Stickers (Dumplings) Thank you, thank you for sharing this hard-to-find oil.... where I live anyway ;) (Made for Bevy Tag 8/08) *SUPER!!!!*