Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is an awesome dish to make for company if they like chicken with heat. I would suggest doubling the sauce and serving with nan and basmati rice. I have also used low fat & FF yogurt and it works beautifully.
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 -8 bamboo skewers, pre-soaked in water can substitute metal
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground red pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 inch piece gingerroot, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced, with seeds for added heat
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Combine yogurt, lemon juice, cumin, red pepper, black pepper, cinnamon, salt and ginger in a medium bowl or zip lock bag. Stir in chicken. Marinate for one hour.
- Soak wooden skewers (can use metal) in water for at least 30 minutes prior to grilling.
- Thread chicken on skewers and discard marinade.
- For Sauce: (double).
- Melt butter in a large deep skillet over med/low heat. Add garlic and jalapeno, cook 1 minute.
- Stir in: coriander, cumin, paprika, garam masala and salt.
- Stir in tomato sauce, simmer 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat until 5 minutes before chicken is done grilling.
- Stir in whipping cream, simmer until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile: heat grill to medium high or heat broiler. Grill or broil chicken, turning until done and no longer pink, about 8 minutes.
- Remove chicken from skewers and set aside. Add to sauce, simmer 5 minutes, and serve over Basmati rice.
This is terrific chicken! Wonderful blend of flavors and the chicken cooks up nice and juicy. The sauce is wonderful. I took one short cut and used diced tomatoes with jalapenos. I also marinated the chicken for about three hours. Thanks for posting!