A quick and delicious soup that you can have on the table in under a half hour. To make this into Chicken Tortilla Soup, leave out the rice and add 1/2 - 3/4 cup finely crushed corn tortilla chips.
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 2 (6 ounce) packages southwestern chicken strips, fully cooked and diced
- 1 (16 ounce) can V8 vegetable juice
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can whole kernel corn, undrained
- 1 1⁄2 cups salsa
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- shredded 4-cheese Mexican blend cheese
- additional chopped green onion
- additional minced fresh cilantro
- coarsely crushed tortilla chips
- In a large pot, combine first 9 ingredients. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until heated through.
- Garnish with toppings.
Delicious soup! It's magic - you just quickly put it together and it's done! Made rice in my rice cooker which is quick and the only changes I made was to substitute rotel chilies and tomatoes for the salsa and I added some garlic powder and ground cumin -- just minor stuff. I'll be eating this all weekend and since DH is gone, there is more for me! Made for ZWT-8-Mexico/US SW.
I honestly don't think you could ask for an easier recipe! It goes together fast and it cooks fast. I used hot salsa, which I think added a nice kick to the soup. Very flavorful and it makes a lot! Made for ZWT 8.
Our whole family loves this soup. So do our children's friends! Most of us like it better with some hot sauce, but it is a great recipe. I followed the recipe exactly. Thank you for sharing this!