Recipe by MARIANDGL
This lovely cake is a holiday family favorite. We've been baking it for over 40 years. Its an heirloom from my Aunt Anne. I'm not sure where she found it. I usually cut the sugar to 1 1/2 cups.
- 1 1⁄2 cups oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 5 tablespoons hot water
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1 3⁄4 cups carrots
- 1 cup pecans
- 4 egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- PREHEAT THE OVEN TO 350 DEGREES. GREASE AND FLOUR (OR PAM) A 10" BUNDT PAN.
- IN A SMALL MIXING BOWL BEAT EGG WHITES UNTIL STIFF. SET ASIDE.
- IN A LARGE MIXING BOWL CREAM OIL, SUGAR, EGG YOLKS AND HOT WATER, USING MEDIUM SPEED.
- SIFT FLOUR, BAKING POWDER, BAKING SODA, SALT, NUTMEG, CINNAMON AND CLOVES. BEAT INTO EGG YOLK MIXTURE.
- STIR IN 1 1/2 CUPS GRATED CARROTS AND CHOPPED NUTS.
- FOLD IN EGG WHITES.
- BAKE 60-70 MINUTES. COOL 15 MINUTES. REMOVE FROM PAN.
- MIX sifted CONFECTIONERS' SUGAR AND LEMON JUICE. DRIZZLE ONTO THE COOLED CAKE. USE RESERVED 1/4 CUP grated CARROTS ON TOP.