Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
I found this on a recipe card. I haven't made it yet but hope to soon.
- 2 1⁄2 cups self rising flour
- 2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 walnuts, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Spray bundt pan with nonstick spray.
- In large bowl, stir together flour, brown sugar, and salt.
- Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of crumb mixture.
- Stir baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg into remaining mixture.
- In a small bowl combine eggs and buttermilk.
- Add to crumb mixture stirring until just combined.
- Sprinkle reserved crumbs and nuts in bottom of prepared pan.
- Pour batter over nuts.
- Bake 50-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan.
- Serve warm or cool thoroughly on wire rack.
This is a tasty coffee cake. I had a little more crumb mixture and less batter then I thought I'd have. Next time I think I might reserve less crumb mixture. You can definitely taste the buttermilk which is nice and the shortening makes this cake very moist.