Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Instead of rice, you can spoon the warm black bean mixture over squares of freshly baked corn bread.
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 cups hot cooked brown rice or 2 cups long grain rice
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion (optional)
- In a medium saucepan cook 1/2 cup onion and garlic in hot oil till tender but not brown.
- Carefully stir in the drained beans, undrained tomatoes, and ground red pepper.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- To serve, mound rice on individual plates; make a well in the centers.
- Spoon black bean mixture into centers.
- If desired, sprinkle with chopped onion.
I loved this dish. I was having recipe #27475 and was looking for a side dish and so glad I came across this one. I made as directed but added Rotel in place of the Mexican style stewed tomatoes as I didn't have any. Such a nice spicy dish and so easy to make. I served this on top of Jasmine rice. Thanks so much for sharing. Will make this one again.