Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
If you are looking to try something different -- here's your chance. This is very filling -- and left overs are GREAT. Although the recipe lists several things to top the "pie" with -- be creative and add whatever sounds good to you.
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 -3 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed bean with bacon soup, i use campbell's (undiluted)
- 1 (16 ounce) jarthick and chunky picante sauce, divided
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3⁄4 cup sliced green onion, divided
- 1 (10 inch) pastry for double-crust pie
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) can sliced ripe olives, drained
- In a skillet, cook beef and garlic until beef is browned, drain.
- In a large bowl, combine soup, 1 cup picante sauce, cornstarch, parsley, paprika, salt and pepper, mix well.
- Fold in beans, 1 ¼ cup cheese, ½ cup onions and the beef mixture.
- Place bottom crust in a 10” pie pan. Pour beef mixture in crust.
- Top with remaining pastry, seal and flue edges. Cut slits in the top crust.
- Bake at 425 for 30-35 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
- Garnish with sour cream, olives, remaining picante, cheese and onions.
I took the advice of some of you and omitted the soup because we don't care for the smokey taste of it and our dinner came out delicious. I also forgot to add the garlic but it was wonderful!
Very filling and yummy. We got about 9 servings out of it. I made a few changes, using Smart Ground instead of beef, lowfat cheese, only half the can of soup (next time I'd leave it out -- didn't like the flavor), and only 3 T of cornstarch. It was really tasty, but the bottom pastry got a bit soggy. I think it would be good with just a top crust or -- even better -- a cornmeal top crust.
The filling is very good. Great to eat on a cold night.