Easy Quick Mexican Stove Top Casserole
photo by jtib124
- Ready In:
- Combine the first 4 ingredients. If using chicken bring to a boil and then lower the temp, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Bring back to a boil.
- If using the hamburger, brown it first before adding the other 3 ingredients. Once added bring to a boil, no need to simmer.
- From there the rest is the same for both versions.
- Add the instant rice, black beans, and corn. Mix together well. If I have any on hand I also usually add green onions.
- Adjust heat to low, cover with desired amount of shredded cheese. I use about 2 cups but that is a lot. We love cheese. I think originally it called for 1 cup.
- Once cheese is added cover and let cook on low for 5-10 minutes or until the rice is done.
- Serve and enjoy. This usually only takes about 30 minutes total. Quick and easy.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made it with chicken tenders which were very good--my question concerns the package of taco seasoning--the only ones I found were 1 oz or 1.25 oz packages--I used 3 of the 1.25 oz pkgs, but wondered if I should only have used one! It was very spicy--and didn't resemble the recipe's picture at all! Bobbi543
Easy and delicious! I used leftover chicken, which I shredded and threw in with some leftover homemade green chili salsa. I garnished with chopped green onion and served with some leftover guacamole I had. (Yes, it was a great way to use up a bunch of leftovers too ;) )Thanks for sharing! PAC Spring '11
This is going in my "Busy Mom" cookbook as it is so simple and quick to prepare and a real kids pleaser too. A real winner! I used bison in place of the beef, added extra cheese as we are cheese lovers too, and I topped everything with sliced olives. Next time I make this I will throw in some jalapeno slices for a bit more of a kick. Thanks for sharing this recipe CelticLady. Made and reviewed for Spring PAC 2011.