Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a one-pot meal that makes a hearty, healthy and easy dish after work.
- 1 large red onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 (400 g) can cannellini beans
- 300 ml water
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (400 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 1⁄2 lemon, juiced
- 1 cup parsley, parsley
- Chop the onion.
- Heat oil in a large pan and saute the onion for six or seven minutes.
- Stir in the cinnamon, chilli powder, salt and pepper to taste and cook for a few minutes Meanwhile, rinse the beans in cold water and add to the pan with the water.
- Simmer for around 15 minutes, before adding tomatoes, garlic, sugar and lemon juice.
- Simmer until thick.
- Add parsley at the last minute, serving immediately.
This was horrible!!! Not even edible!!!!!
fantastic! was skeptical at first when looking at ingredients (no bacon! don't need it!) i too upped the chili powder and lessened the cinnamon. the recipe says to add sugar, but is not on the ingredients list. i added 1 tbsp of brown. everything boiled down nicely. will be making this for the rest of my life.
Wonderful! I changed the recipe a bit - doubled the amount of beans, increased the chili to 2 teaspoons, put in a whole lemon and dried parsley instead of fresh. I was a bit hesitant about the amount of cinnamon but put it all in anyway - and it was totally worth it. I think one reviewer said that the lemon juice makes this recipe and I would agree - lemon gives a wonderful tangy taste to the beans. Will make this again and again!