- 1 large red onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 (400 g) can cannellini beans
- 300 ml water
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (400 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 1⁄2 lemon, juiced
- 1 cup parsley, parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop the onion.
- Heat oil in a large pan and saute the onion for six or seven minutes.
- Stir in the cinnamon, chilli powder, salt and pepper to taste and cook for a few minutes Meanwhile, rinse the beans in cold water and add to the pan with the water.
- Simmer for around 15 minutes, before adding tomatoes, garlic, sugar and lemon juice.
- Simmer until thick.
- Add parsley at the last minute, serving immediately.