Recipe by Tish
I found this recipe in a 1966 recipe book that I have in my collection. It is a nice combination of sour and sweet. Great side for a meat dish that needs a little kick up.
- 2 yellow onions, minced
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 cup seedless raisin
- 3 1⁄2-4 lbs red cabbage, cored and shredded
- 2 large apples, peeled,cored,and chopped
- 1 teaspoon whole mixed pickling spice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion in butter in a large kettle until lightly browned.
- Add raisins, cabbage, and apple.
- Tie pickling spice in wet piece of cheesecloth.
- Add to cabbage mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook over low heat for about 45 minutes.
- Mix in sugar and vinegar; stir into cabbage.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove spice bag.