Recipe by Annacia
Freshly made chai
Top Review by Lalaloula
This recipe makes for a very strongly spiced chai tea just like the commercially available ones. It is very yummy, but for me needs some milk to tone down the heat a bit. Definitely a keeper and something I will make again and again. THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing your recipe with us, Annacia! Made and reviewed for When it's hot, when it's not in the Diabetic Forum July 2010.
- 9.85 ml black pepper
- 9.85 ml grated fresh gingerroot
- 6 cardamom pods
- 10 in cinnamon sticks
- 14.78 ml cloves
- 3 tea bags (or 2 tbsp loose tea)
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds only
- honey (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Crush the black pepper, ginger root, cardamom pods, cinnamon stick, and cloves together.
- Pour 8 cups of water into a saucepan and add the crushed spices and tea bags (or loose tea), along with the seeds from the vanilla pod.
- Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to a low simmer and cook for up 10 minutes.
- Strain the chai to remove the spices and prevent the tea becoming too strong. Serve in cups and sweeten with honey if desired.