Recipe by Just Call Me Martha
This Moroccan style dipping sauce is delicious on anything from traditional Moroccan food to grilled chicken, shrimp, or steak. Perfect with Moroccan Chicken Bundles. It would also be a good accompaniment to many of the purhcased (frozen) appetizers such as chicken fingers, cheese sticks etc. Found on another site, but was originally from Gourmet magazine.
- 1⁄3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes, coarsely chopped (reserve juice)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion, garlic, ginger and spices in olive oil in large saucepan over moderately low heat.
- Stir frequently until onion is softened, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar and simmer over moderately low heat about 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes with juice and brown sugar.
- Increase heat slighly and simmer, stirring occasionally until slightly thickened, about 30 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Puree sauce in blender or food processor until smooth.
- Be careful when blending hot liquids.
- Serve at room temp or slightly warmer.