In preparing for the fall/winter holidays I came across this soup. I was looking for something that could be made ahead and served for a family get-together. Since it has no cream, this recipe looks like it would reheat easily. The original recipe is by Joyce Goldstein and the ingredients were doubled for a large gathering.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion (about 2 cups)
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored and diced (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5 cups butternut squash, peeled and diced (2 whole squash)
- 6 cups chicken stock
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 granny smith apple, thinly sliced for garnish
- 1Melt the butter and olive oil in a soup pot over moderate heat.
- 2Add the diced onions and apples and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- 3Stir in the spices, cook for one minute.
- 4Add the squash and chicken stock, bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer, uncovered, until the squash is very tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- 5In a blender or food processor, puree the vegetables in batches with a little bit of the stock.
- 6Transfer puree mixture into a large bowl.
- 7Stir in enough of the remaining stock to make a medium-thick soup.
- 8Reserve any leftover stock if not serving right away, as the soup may thicken on standing. This is rich broth so if you have any left just add it to your favorite homemade soup or freeze for another use.
- 9Season with salt and pepper and adjust the spices.
- 10This soup may be made a day ahead, refrigerated uncovered until cold and then covered to store.
- 11To serve, in a large pot heat the soup almost to scalding.
- 12Ladle into bowls and top with thin slices of apple.
Browse Our Top Apple Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spiced Squash and Apple Soup
Serving Size: 1 (447 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 211.6
- Calories from Fat 66
- Total Fat 7.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 12.2 mg
- Sodium 362.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 12.2 g
- Protein 7.6 g