Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is an inexpensive soup and easy that can be easily doubled for a larger crowd. I wasn't sure how I was going to like it, but after making it, discovered that it was much better tasting than the recipe looked. I serve it with hot cornbread and I bet it would also be good with fried cornbread.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, chopped in chunks
- 2 (10 ounce) cans Rotel tomatoes & chilies
- 2 cups tomatoes, finely chopped (or you can use a can of diced tomatoes if you like)
- 1 (12 ounce) can spicy vegetable juice (V8)
- 2 (10 ounce) cans white shoepeg corn, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat and saute onion, carrots, and garlic for 4 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients and heat through.
- Cook over low heat for approximately 2 hours to allow the flavors to blend.
- Keep hot until ready to serve.