Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a delicious prawn dish with a thick curry sauce served with rice.
- 225 g fresh prawns, shelled and deveined or 225 g frozen prawns, shelled, de-frosted and deveined
- 2 tablespoons flavourless oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cardamom pod
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 450 g tomatoes, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (to garnish)
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil then add the chopped onions, ginger, garlic and cardamom and fry gently for about 10 minutes till softened and light-golden brown.
- Then add in the spices and stir and cook for another 10 minutes (you may pour in a little water if you find the spices sticking to the bottom of the pan).
- Add in the prawns and stir them so they are evenly coated with the spice mixture then add in the chopped tomatoes and season with salt and bring it to a simmering point.
- Then reduce heat to medium-low and cook for about 20-25 minutes uncovered, stirring occasionally, by which time most of the liquid will have evaporated and the tomatoes will have reduced to a thick sauce.
- Remove from heat and garnish with chopped coriander and serve straight away.
A nicely flavorful curry! I added just a bit of cayenne at the end. I think I may try this with chicken sometimes as well. Thanks for posting!
Very delicious curry, I increased the servings to use 450 grams of prawns/shrimp and followed the recipe as written. The flavours were wonderful and the aroma was mouth-watering. Thank you Aaliyah's mum
Great shrimp and curry dish! We made recipe following directions to a T, and it was a winner recipe with us! Loved the spices used, and it was packed with lots of flavor!