Top Review by Misses Wilson
I had never made pear or apple butter before and this saved me when my brother showed up on my doorstep with 40lbs of fresh pears!!! It was delicious! A bit heavy on the sweet so next time I will use maybe 1/2 the sugar or no sugar, as I tend to use over-ripe fruit just for the natural sweet! It helped a ton to have access to a gas burner for this recipe! If your kitchen doesn't have gas think about your gas BBQ, worked wonders for us!! Thanks for posting this!
- 6 lbs pears, peeled cored and chopped (about 16 large) (ripe)
- 3 cups apple juice
- 4 cinnamon sticks, (3-inch) broken into pieces
- 2 slices fresh gingerroot, 1 oz
- 12 whole allspice
- 8 whole cloves
- 3 cups sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine pears and apple juice in a large Dutch oven.
- Tie broken cinnamon spices, gingerroot, allspice and cloves in a piece of cheese cloth; add to pear mixture. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until pears are tender.
- Drain pears, and discard spice bag.
- Mash pears or process in food processor until smooth.
- Return pear puree to Dutch oven, and add sugar.
- Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 30 to 40 minutes or until mixture thickens, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat, and quickly pour hot pear mixture into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace; wipe jar rims.
- Cover at once with metal lids, and screw on bands.
- Process in boiling water bath for 5 minutes.