photo by dicentra
- Ready In:
- 10hrs 40mins
- 3 lbs ripe pears, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Add the first 4 ingredients to the slow cooker; stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- Remove the lid and stir in the fresh and ground ginger.
- Increase temperature setting to HIGH; cook, uncovered, 1-2 hours, to thicken and blend, stirring occasionally.
- Let cool completely, then transfer to glass jars or other containers with tight fitting lids; store in the refrigerator where they will keep for several weeks.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I had never made any type of fruit butter before, but they had 2 bags of pears that were reduced at the grocery store. I was looking for recipes and came across this. I am so glad I did!! It was very tasty and made the house smell great!! I wouldn't add the extra water because I had to toss it on the stove for about 20 minutes to reduce it, but other than that it was fantastic! I also didn't get as many servings as the recipe said, but that was ok!<br/><br/>I also put it on pancakes for another first time experience and I will never use maple syrup again!
This is excellent! I had an entire tree's worth of pears to harvest so I was on the hunt for recipes. This is a great one. I doubled the recipe. I think either my pears were too wet or I added too much water b/c the final result was more like a sauce than something spreadable. I also overloaded on the ginger (not really a bad thing). Whoo! That's gingery! But good! Ended up with about 8 cups of butter/sauce. Will freeze some and gift some. Great recipe. Thanks!
I have a pear tree in my yard so i am always looking for something new to do with them. Well i am a nurse and i made this recipie a couple times over and everyone that i have given it too just loves it. it was easy and made the whole house smell so good. Even my kids love it my 4 year old who is really picky loves it so much that this morning i found her sitting with the fridge door open and eating the butter out of the jar with nothing but a spoon. if you love pears you must try this.