Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 hrs
Taste of Home
- 1 (4 lb) beef brisket
- 1⁄2 cup apple butter
- 1⁄4 cup ruby port
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and cubed
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup dried apple, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup dried cranberries
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Cut brisket in half; place in a 5-quart slow cooker.
- In a bowl, combine the apple butter, wine, vinegar, pepper and salt.
- Stir in the tart apple, celery, onion, dried apples, cranberries, and garlic.
- Pour over brisket.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat to a serving platter; keep warm.
- Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan.
- Bring liquid to a boil.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into the pan.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened; serve with meat.