Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This adaptable, flavour-packed recipe is perfect for a midweek family meal as it can be prepared quickly and easily. The crisp onions and aromatic rice make it really special.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 large red onions, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces basmati rice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 5 ounces frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 8 tablespoons low-fat plain yogurt
- Heat the oven to 375°F.
- Brush the chicken with 1 tsp of oil, then sprinkle with curry powder.
- Toss the onion in the remaining oil.
- Put the chicken and onions in one layer in a roasting tin. Bake for 25 mins until the meat is cooked and the onions are crisp, stirring the onions halfway through the cooking time.
- Rinse the rice, then put in a pan with the cinnamon, saffron, salt to taste and 1 1/4 cups water. Bring to the boil, stir once, add the raisins, cover. Gently cook for 10-12 mins until the rice is tender, adding the peas halfway through.
- Spoon the rice onto two plates, top with the chicken and scatter over the onions.
- Stir the herbs into the yogurt and season before serving on the side.