Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
If you like nuts in your cake, stir 1 1/2 cups toasted chopped pecans or walnuts into the batter along with the carrots. Raisins are also a good addition; 1 cup can be added along with the carrots. If you add both nuts and raisins, the cake will need an additional 10 to 12 minutes in the oven. Cooking/Prep times do not include 2-hour cooling time.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb carrot, peeled (= 3 cups grated)
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups nuts (optional) or 1 cup raisins (optional)
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 4 teaspoons sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 13 by 9-inch baking pan.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and spices together in large bowl and set aside.
- Mixer method: Shred carrots on large holes of box grater (you should have about 3 cups); transfer carrots to bowl and set aside. Using stand mixer fitted with paddle, beat granulated sugar, brown sugar, and eggs on medium-high speed until thoroughly combined, about 45 seconds. Reduce speed to medium; with mixer running, add oil in slow, steady stream, being careful to pour oil against inside of bowl (if oil begins to splatter, reduce speed to low until oil is incorporated, then resume adding oil). Increase speed to high and mix until mixture is light in color and well emulsified, about 45 seconds to 1 minute longer. Turn off mixer and stir in carrots and dry ingredients by hand until incorporated and no streaks of flour remain.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan, smooth top with rubber spatula, and gently tap pan on counter to release air bubbles. Bake cake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking. Let cake cool completely in pan on wire rack, about 2 hours.
- Mix cream cheese with other frosting ingredients. Spread frosting evenly over cake and serve. (Cake can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.).