1/1 Photo of Spiced Carrot Cake
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 5 mins
You can use more orange juice instead of the orange liqueur if you prefer. The soaking time of the apricots is not included in the recipe timing.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium orange
- 3/4 cup finely chopped dried apricot
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil (or canola)
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier
- 7 ounces cream cheese
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 5 -6 pecan halves, to decorate (optional)
- 1Zest the orange, cover and set aside for the frosting.
- 2Juice the orange, add the chopped apricots and mix with the orange juice, leave to soak for at least 3 hours.
- 3When ready to make the cake, preheat the oven to 300F and line the base of a 2lb loaf tin with parchment paper.
- 4Sift the flour together with the cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cloves and the baking soda into a mixing bowl.
- 5Add the brown sugar, chopped pecans, carrots and the apricots with the juice, (reserve 2 tablespoons of the orange juice), mix well.
- 6Beat together the eggs with the oil, add to the mix and mix again.
- 7Spoon into the prepared loaf tin and bake for 50-60 minutes.
- 8Test with a wooden skewer whether the cake is done, (it should come out clean and dry), otherwise cook a bit longer.
- 9Turn the cake out of the tin and let it cool until slightly warm.
- 10Mix the two tablespoons of Grand Marnier and the two tablespoons of the reserved orange juice, return the cake to the tin, poke holes in the top and drizzle the liquid over to soak up the juices.
- 11Beat together the cream cheese, confectioners sugar and the orange zest, taste if you find it sweet enough, if not, add more sugar.
- 12Take the cake out of the tin, remove parchment paper and spread the frosting on the top.
- 13Decorate with the halved pecans.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spiced Carrot Cake
Serving Size: 1 (113 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 371.5
- Calories from Fat 191
- Total Fat 21.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 71.0 mg
- Sodium 186.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 27.1 g
- Protein 5.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: