Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
Make and share this Spiced Butter (Niter Kebbeh) recipe from Food.com.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter slowly over medium heat; do not let it brown.
- Then bring butter to a boil.
- Stir in the onion, garlic, ginger, turmeric, cardamom, cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg.
- Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered and undisturbed for 45 minutes.
- Milk solids on the bottom of the pan should be golden brown, and the butter on top will be transparent.
- Slowly pour the clear liquid into a bowl, straining through cheesecloth.
- It is important that no solids are left in the niter kebbeh.
- Transfer the kebbeh into a jar.
- Cover tightly, and store in the refrigerator.
I made this recipe to go with Spiced Butter (Niter Kebbeh) while travelling in Africa on ZWT4 with the Babes. It has a wonderful spicy flavor and now I wish I'd made more than the 1/4 recipe I made. Thanks for such a totally authentic recipe!