Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Makes great gifts jarred. Fill jars preferably wide-mouth with apple rings and hot flavored syrup, leaving 1 2 inch head space. Decorate with a ribbon around lid.
- 4 lbs firm tart apples, peeled,cored and sliced
- 2 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup red cinnamon candies
- 1⁄3 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- Soak apple slices in water and lemon juice.
- Combine sugar, water, cinnamon candy, vinegar, and cloves in a 6 quart saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer 3 minutes , stirring constantly.
- Drain apples, add to hot syrup, and cook 5 minutes.
I made these and canned them. I had them on the relish tray for Thanksgiving and everyone said they tasted just like the spice crab apples we used to have years ago. I went through 2 jars, that is how good they were. I will definitely keep this recipe and make again! Thank you!!!
Super super yummy! I'm not sure how my canned ones came out yet, but I have been eating the ones that didn't fit. I used granny smiths and they came out great! be sure to cut semi thick though.
These are great! Served these warmed topped icecream and crushed gingersnaps! Yummm