1/6 Photos of Spice Paste (Berbere)
Charlotte J's Note:
Ethiopia Beef Stewed in Red Pepper Paste recipe calls for this blend of spice paste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 cups paprika
- 2 tablespoons ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1In a cast-iron skillet, toast the ginger, cardamom, coriander, fenugreek, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, and allspice over low heat.
- 2Do not burn, this should only take a minute or so.
- 3Set aside to cool.
- 4Combine the spices, onions, garlic, 1 tablespoon of the salt, and 3 tablespoons water in a small jar of a blender and blend until smooth.
- 5Combine the paprika, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and the remaining tablespoon of salt in the skillet and toast over low heat for a minute or so.
- 6Stir in the water, 1/4 cup at a time.
- 7Then stir in the blended mixture.
- 8Stirring vigorously, cook over the lowest possible heat for 10-15 minutes.
- 9Transfer the berbere to a jar, packing it in tightly.
- 10Let the paste cook to room temperature, then cover with a film of oil.
- 11Store in the refrigerator between use.
Browse Our Top Herb and Spice Mixes Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Herb and Spice Mixes Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spice Paste (Berbere)
Serving Size: 1 (660 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 727.6
- Calories from Fat 282
- Total Fat 31.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 14045.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 140.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 88.6 g
- Sugars 25.1 g
- Protein 36.1 g