Eritrean Berbere (Red Pepper Spice Mixture)
photo by Sharon123
- Ready In:
- 2 cups ground red chili pepper
- 5 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground fenugreek
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Combine all ingredients. Mix thoroughly.
- Store mixture in an airtight container.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is a lovely spice blend, very well balanced and versatile. I used this as the basic seasoning of tomato sauce and thought that was lovely. Im sure this would be super yummy in a hearty chili, too. <br/>Thank you so much for sharing this recipe with us, Mikekey!<br/>Made and reviewed for Veggie Swap #61 August 2013.
This is a really nice spice blend, I cut back on the proportion of chili powder to the other spices, because I don't like overly spicey. I made this along with a similar spice mix and the addition of cinnamon is what made this one edge the other out though both were tasty. I sprinkle some on some scallops as I sauteed them and it was a great combination. Thanks Mikey for sharing! Made for ZWT 7 by a Food.commando
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
WARNING: Make my recipes if you want, but I am no longer an active member and will not acknowledge reviews, photos or answer questions via z-mail. I find this site to be pretty useless without the forums. I can find recipes on a lot of different websites.