Prep 1 hr
Cook 25 mins
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- chopped walnuts
- In a medium saucepan, bring water and raisins to a boil.
- Lower heat; simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar.
- Add egg and raisin mixture; mix until well blended.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and spices; mix well.
- Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Stir in walnuts.
- Fill greased muffin cups with 1/3 cup batter each.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until test done.
- Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan and place on wire rack.
- To make frosting: mix together brown sugar, half and half, and salt in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium-low heat; cook and stir until smooth.
- Stir in butter and vanilla.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Add powdered sugar and stir until smooth.
- Frost cupcakes and sprinkle each with chopped walnuts.