Simple, tasty skiller dinner that's ready to serve in about 30 minutes!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 ounces chopped onions
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 4 ounces reduced-sodium chicken broth or 4 ounces homemade chicken broth
- 12 ounces low-sodium V8 juice
- 15 ounces di neal's refried beans or 15 ounces store-bought pinto beans
- 2 ounces vermont sharp cheddar cheese, shredded or grated (English Gloucester cheese is wonderful in this dish!)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 ounces sour cream, optional
- 3 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 1Heat the oil in a large, heavy, nonstick skillet.
- 2Add the onion and sauté until just softened.
- 3Add the chicken to the onion, along with the chili powder, cumin and oregano.
- 4Cook until chicken is no longer pink.
- 5Add the chicken broth, V-8 Juice and beans with their liquid.
- 6Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes.
- 7Stir the cheese into chicken mixture until melted.
- 8Immediately remove from heat.
- 9Serve over rice, and sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
- 10Add a dollop of sour cream, if desired.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Speedy South of the Border Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (534 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 890.8
- Calories from Fat 139
- Total Fat 15.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 95.8 mg
- Sodium 577.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 136.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.0 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 47.5 g