Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Simple, tasty skiller dinner that's ready to serve in about 30 minutes!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 ounces chopped onions
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 4 ounces reduced-sodium chicken broth or 4 ounces homemade chicken broth
- 12 ounces low-sodium V8 juice
- 15 ounces di neal's refried beans or 15 ounces store-bought pinto beans
- 2 ounces vermont sharp cheddar cheese, shredded or grated (English Gloucester cheese is wonderful in this dish!)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 ounces sour cream, optional
- 3 cups cooked long-grain rice
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy, nonstick skillet.
- Add the onion and sauté until just softened.
- Add the chicken to the onion, along with the chili powder, cumin and oregano.
- Cook until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add the chicken broth, V-8 Juice and beans with their liquid.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes.
- Stir the cheese into chicken mixture until melted.
- Immediately remove from heat.
- Serve over rice, and sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
- Add a dollop of sour cream, if desired.
This was good. I used store bought canned beans and mashed them up a bit before serving. I also stirred the sour cream through the whole dish before serving instead of dolloping on top which was just my preference. I'm keeping the recipe to make again.