Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is from an old country cookbook. Great on Christmas buffet. I buy the already pre-cooked shrimp, and skip the first step.
- 3 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 1⁄2 lbs uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 cup whipped cream
- 2 1⁄4 cups cooked rice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground mace
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, toasted, divided
- In a Dutch oven, bring water and 1 tbsp salt to boil, add shrimp and cook for 3 minutes or until pink, drain.
- Sprinkle shrimp with oil and lemon juice and set aside.
- In a skillet, saute green pepper and onion in butter for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add soup, cream, rice, mace, pepper, cayenne, 1/4 cup of almonds and remaining salt.
- Set aside 1 cup of shrimp.
- Add remaining shrimp to the rice mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 2 qt baking dish.
- Bake uncovered at 350 for 30-35 minutes.
- Top with reserved shrimp and remaining almonds and bake 20 minutes longer or until the shrimp are lightly browned.