Recipe by LorenLou
Top Review by CountryLady
So special & so good - I loved the addition of the nutmeg! I broiled my bacon & blotted on paper towels to reduce the fat and used 10% (light??) cream. Although the instructions on my deep dish pastry shell indicated 400F for 8 - 10 mins, I followed the recipe directions of 5 minutes; unfortunately, the end result was a slightly soggy base. I will also cook the mushrooms longer next time since they may have contributed to the overmoist bottom. Thanx LorenLou!
- 1 9 inch pie shell, frozen or refrigerated
- 1⁄4 lb bacon
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces swiss cheese, shredded
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups light cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- If using frozen pie crust, thaw slightly, then bake at 400 for 5 minutes.
- If using refrigerated, place in pie pan according to mfg.
- directions and bake at 400 for 5 minutes.
- Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Snip the bacon into small pieces (kitchen shears work best), and saute in skillet till almost done.
- Add onions and mushrooms, and continue cooking till onion is soft and bacon is done, about 5 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, remove the bacon mixture and sprinkle evenly in pie crust.
- Add the shredded Swiss cheese on top of the bacon.
- Mix eggs well with cream, salt and cayenne.
- (And nutmeg if using).
- Pour into the pie shell.
- You may sprinkle with additional nutmeg if you like.
- Bake at 450 for 10 minutes.
- Then reduce heat to 325 and bake until firm, about 20-25 minutes.