Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
As a child my mother would make this rice dish. It is very mild in taste, but still flavorful. As a child anything with a little spice to it was considered "hot", and we just didn't want to eat it. You certainly can spice it up with some chili powder, or tomatoes with chilies (like Rotel)
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 cup rice, uncooked
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 16 ounces tomatoes, undrained and cut up
- 1 lb ground beef, cooked and drained (optional)
- Fry bacon until crisp, drain on paper towel.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons bacon drippings.
- Cook rice, green pepper, and onion in drippings, until onion is tender.
- Add crumbled bacon and remaining ingredients.
- Simmer covered 30-45 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid absorbed.
- **NOTE** Ground beef can be added to make the dish more of a main dish, instead of a side dish.