Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is my family's favorite recipe for Spanish rice. You can add more or less red pepper, depending on how spicy you like it.
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled & finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 dash crushed red pepper flakes
- Melt margarine in a medium saucepan. Add onions, bell pepper, carrots, celery, garlic and rice. Cook and stir over medium heat until rice is lightly brown and vegetables are tender.
- Add stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, and red pepper. Mix well.
- Bring to a boil. Cover saucepan, lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed; stirring occasionally.
Terrific rice that my whole family enjoyd. I didn't have Mexican Style canned tomatoes, so just used regular but we didn't feel that we were missing out on anything. This rice was falvourful and delicious, thanks! Made for ZWT 8 :)
Fantastic! I loved all the vegetables in it, and the addition of cumin. Thank you.
This was soooo good! The only things I changed was to add a small can of green chiles (medium), upped the cumin to a whole teaspoon because I love cumin and used long grain brown rice instead of white but otherwise I did everything exactly as written and it was delicious!!! I will be making this often!