Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I've served this at several occasions and it has always been a hit. (It's very similar to the "pasta with sand" recipe elsewhere on Recipezaar.) Recipe is from Jeff Smith's "Frugal Gourmet Cooks Italian."
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 lb spaghettini or 1⁄2 lb angel hair pasta
- Place a large pot of water on to boil for the pasta.
- Remove core and seeds from pepper and slice thinly--julienne style.
- Heat a large frying pan and add 2 tablespoons of the oil.
- Add the pepper and saute over high heat for two minutes.
- The peppers should remain a little crisp.
- Remove from the pan and set aside uncovered.
- Heat the frying pan again and add the remaining oil and the garlic.
- Saute just a few seconds.
- Add the bread crumbs and red pepper flakes.
- Gently toast the mixture, stirring often, until very lighly browned.
- Boil the pasta until al dente and drain well.
- Return to the pot and toss with the red bell pepper and the bread crumbs.
- Salt and pepper to taste if desired.
- NOTE ON DOUBLING: I have had some difficulty doubling this recipe easily.
- It works, but you need to tweak the preparation a bit.
- First, I'd recommend toasting the breadcrumb mixture in two batches (1/4 cup at a time).
- It can also be difficult to toss the pasta evenly, so I'd start with a 1/3 of the pasta, add a third of the breadcrumb mixture and then add the second third and so forth.
- You may need to add a little extra olive oil as well.