Recipe by twissis
This dish from the *Great Lamb* cookbook of the Australian Women's Weekly cookbook series whisks us away to indulge ourselves w/the rich flavors of the Mediterranean. *Enjoy* - I know I will. (Times have been estimated) .. *Edited to Add* -- This recipe was included for Greece in ZWT6 due to its strong Mediterranean influence + the use of feta cheese as a primary ingredient. :-)
Top Review by threeovens
We really loved this. It made a great meal. How clever to make a tomato sauce that needs no cooking, but tastes great! I made it with lamb chops and plated them while completing the remaining components. CQ
- 8 small roma tomatoes (roughly 2 oz ea)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves (halved)
- 1 lb lamb tenderloin (See note after prep)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups breadcrumbs (stale)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 8 ounces spaghetti
- 1⁄2 cup black olives (seedless)
- 1 cup feta cheese (crumbled)
- 12 ounces artichoke hearts (drained of oil & quartered)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Halve tomatoes lengthways. Place in a lrg baking dish (cut side up). Drizzle w/1 tbsp olive oil & bake (uncovered) for about 20 min or till soft.
- Blend or process tomatoes w/remaining 1 tbsp olive oil, vinegar & halved garlic cloves till pureed & set aside.
- Cook lamb tenderloin in a lrg heated & oiled pan (uncovered) till browned on all sides & cooked to desired doneness.
- Cover lamb & allow to rest for 5 min, then slice thinly & set aside.
- Heat butter in the same lrg pan & stir to deglaze any pan juices. Cook breadcrumbs & crushed garlic till browned lightly & crisp (stir as needed).
- Cook pasta in lrg pan of boiling water till just tender & drain well.
- Gently toss pasta & lamb slices in a lrg serving bowl w/olives, Feta & artichokes.
- Top w/tomato puree & sprinkle w/breadcrumb mixture. Serve immediately.
- NOTE: While tenderloin is preferred here, it is also more expensive than using leftover leg of lamb slices -- so feel free to turn your leftovers into a whole new taste sensation & amend the prep accordingly. ;-).